Whale dies in Thailand after swallowing 80 plastic bags 鯨魚吞了80個塑膠袋後，命喪泰國
A whale has died in southern Thailand after swallowing more than 80 plastic bags, officials said, ending a rescue that failed to nurse the mammal back to health.
Thailand is one of the world’s largest consumers of plastic bags, which kill hundreds of marine creatures living near the country’s beaches each year.
The small male pilot whale became the latest victim after it was found barely alive in a canal near the border with Malaysia. A veterinary team tried "to help stabilise its illness but finally the whale died on Friday afternoon". An autopsy revealed 80 plastic bags weighing up to eight kilograms in the creature’s stomach.
Photos showed a group of people using buoys to keep the whale afloat after it was first spotted on Monday and an umbrella to shield it from the scorching sun.
The whale vomited up five bags during the rescue attempt before it died. Thon Thamrongnawasawat, a marine biologist and lecturer at Kasetsart University, said the bags had made it impossible for the whale to eat any nutritional food.
He added that at least 300 marine animals, including pilot whales, sea turtles and dolphins, perish each year in Thai waters after ingesting plastic. He said： "It’s a huge problem. We use a lot of plastic."